Blogs > Cleveland Cavaliers Blog

Find out the scoop on the CAVS from award-winning sports writer Bob Finnan.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

So long, Eric

Eric Snow's NBA career officially ended on Sunday when the Cavs waived him.

Many media members thought he wasn't the easiest guy to deal with. When you'd ask him a question, he'd think about it for a few seconds and then reply, "What do you mean by that?"

Those few seconds of indecision scared off many reporters.

I always thought once you got past that first salvo, he was great. He was very insightful about the league, which is why he's a good analyst with NBA TV.

The first time I covered him, he was with the Seattle SuperSonics. The Cavs were playing in Seattle's Key Arena. After I filed my stories, I walked outside the press room and Snow was standing against the wall crying.

The Sonics had traded him to Philadelphia during the 1997-98 season. It was the first time he'd ever been dealt and he didn't want to leave Gary Payton and the rest of the Sonics.

It turned out to be a godsend for his career. He thrived in Philadelphia next to Allen Iverson and even made an appearance in the NBA Finals.

Once he came to the Cavs, I walked into the locker room one day and asked him some question. He replied, "Offensively challenged."

Since I had asked him about something totally different, I was confused.

I asked the question a different way, and he answered it the same way, "Offensively challenged."

Finally, I said, "What are you talking about?"

Snow said that I referred to him as being "offensively challenged" in my midseason report card in The News-Herald. I just started laughing. I told him I didn't realize he paid so much attention to my midseason report card.

I'll miss the guy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lombardo said...

he was as solid player as you can find but still good enough to get you with iverson tot he finals respect

April 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home